This healthy, delicious Seafood Stew is one pot casserole. Quick and easy to make, ideal for cold winter nights. The herbs and spices used in this recipe aren’t overpowering and allow you to appreciate the natural flavours and textures of the flaky fish and meaty prawns. If preferred, add a dash or two of Tabasco for a little extra kick.
- 500g firm white fish, cubed
- 300g peeled raw prawns
- 500g potatoes
- 2 dried red chillies, deseeded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 med tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 -2 tsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Juice 2 limes
- 3 tbsp. coriander, chopped finely
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and salt and cook for 3 mins.
- Break and deseed the dried chillies and add to saucepan along with the cumin, paprika and tomatoes. Stir to mix well.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Puree the stock mixture until very fine. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Gently add the fish, prawns and potatoes and stir. Cover and cook until tender, for about 10 mins.
- Add the lime juice and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot.
Garnish: with coriander and lime wedge.
To serve: serve with crusty bread roll, garlic bread or corn chips.
Variation: Add clams, mussels, squid or any of your favourite seafood.