– Celebrating the Life and Legacy of His Holiness Pramukh Swami Maharaj on his 100th Birthday.
Generations to come will celebrate his life and legacy for redefining the meaning of humanity and spirituality
WHO WAS PRAMUKH SWAMI MAHARAJ?
Revered as a unique and rare holy soul of India, HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj was the universally loved and respected spiritual leader of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha. Born on December 7, 1921, in Chansad, Gujarat, India, he grew up to be the fifth spiritual successor of Bhagwan Swaminarayan.
At 18, he renounced the world, embracing the strict ascetic life of a Swaminarayan Sadhu, and was named Narayanswarupdas Swami. In 1950, his guru, Shastriji Maharaj, recognized his innate spirituality and appointed him as the president (Pramukh) of BAPS, hence he was known as ‘Pramukh Swami’. Upon the firm foundations laid by his gurus, he spread the universal messages and activities of BAPS worldwide.
He travelled in India and abroad to strengthen morality and spirituality, inspiring people through personal counselling, letters or telephone. He built over 1,100 temples in India, North America, UK, Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and the Middle East, which serve as perennial sources of spiritual inspiration, social harmony, and humanitarian services. Moreover, he created the magnificent Swaminarayan Akshardham Mahamandirs in Gandhinagar and New Delhi, which enlighten millions of visitors on India’s ancient culture, traditions, and values. However, what touched countless people, including political, social, and spiritual leaders across race, religion, and region, was Pramukh Swami Maharaj’s personal humility, simplicity, integrity, spirituality, and universality.
WHAT CAN ONE INDIVIDUAL DO? A SAGE FOR THE AGES
One individual may not be able to do much to impact the world. But when that individual is empowered by a vision, a mission and passion, when the individual is strengthened by leadership skills to help inspire countless others to see and share the vision, when the individual is driven by values and faith in God, there is no limit to what can be achieved.
Here is what Pramukh Swami Maharaj was able to accomplish in 95 years on this earth.
PRAMUKH SWAMI MAHARAJ’S LIFE IN NUMBERS: PERSEVERANCE PERSONIFIED
• Travelled to over 17,000 villages, towns, & cities in 50 nations
• Visited more than 250,000 homes
• Personally, wrote more than 700,000 letters to comfort & guide individuals
• Delivered more than 25,000 discourses spreading the message of love, spirituality, & faith
• Built more than 1,100 Mandirs and Cultural Centers worldwide to uphold the values and beliefs of Hinduism
• Initiated over 930 young individuals into a life of renunciation, spirituality, & the service of others
• Established over 3,850 Satsang centers
• Created Swaminarayan Akshardham in New Delhi & Gandhinagar, Gujarat
• Created grand stone mandirs across the globe – India, North America, UK & Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific and Middle East.
SATSANG IN AUSTRALIA
• In September 1984, HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj and sadhus visit Australia for the first time and encourage a handful of devotees and well-wishers to live by the principles of Hinduism and Satsang.
• Between 1992 and 1994 senior sadhus Pujya Viveksagar Swami and Pujya Doctor Swami visited the Australia and New Zealand to nurture Satsang in the region.
• In 1996, HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj and other senior sadhus visited Australia and New Zealand as part of spiritual vichran which bolstered the growth and added momentum to the Satsang in the region.
• In Jan 2002, Pramukh Swami Maharaj performed murti pratistha ceremony at the BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir in Sydney & Perth.
• Today, the Satsang has flourished in Australia with Mandirs in every capital city and two in regional Australia and various centers in regional cities.
A FITTING SUCCESSOR: HH MAHANT SWAMI MAHARAJ
HH Mahant Swami Maharaj is the spiritual successor of HH Pramukh Swami Maharaj and the current spiritual leader of BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha. He travels throughout the world with the selfless intention to better the lives of seekers and believers of all faiths. He guides aspirants to spiritual heights while stressing the importance of social and humanitarian service. He believes that every individual should contribute to the greater community. His humility and selflessness have inspired thousands of seekers to follow his lead and serve with a smile.
Mahant Swami Maharaj, speaking of Pramukh Swami Maharaj: “Pramukh Swami Maharaj radiated immense peace. He was the embodiment of patience, forgiveness, and humility.He lived his entire life, every second, by the credo, ‘In the joy of others, lies our own.’ He embraced humanity with love, peace, harmony, understanding, and universal brotherhood. Countless touched God through him. His legacy will continue for generations to come.”
2022: A YEAR OF CELEBRATIONS
A noble and exemplary life full of integrity, service and devotion calls for more than just festivities. Such a life is fit to be revered and honoured.
Join us and be inspired through thought provoking articles highlighting ‘Eternal Virtues’ revealing the life of Pramukh Swami Maharaj based upon the divine virtues described in the Shrimad Bhagvat and other engaging programs throughout 2022.
LEARN MORE ABOUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA
@BAPS – https://www.baps.org | https://www.youtube.com/bapschannel
@BAPS Charities – https://www.bapscharities.org/australia/
@BAPS Better Living –