Getting married in Australia: Changing your name

Harpal Singh Authorised Marriage Celebrant NAATI Professional Translator Member of AUSIT and AFCC Ph: 0425 853 086

The standard certificate of marriage will show your names as they were completed on your Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) form. The certificate will show the parties as their birth names or previous known name where previously married or a change of name has taken place. The standard certificate of marriage is then presented as proof to your bank, the Department of Transport, etc as proof to change your name.

In Australia, it is not compulsory for either person marrying to change their name or a wife to take her husband’s name. The certificate also provides an historical trail for anyone to create a family tree in the future. And if a husband wishes to take on his wife’s name, he will follow the same process.

The process to change a name depends on whether you are an adult over 18 years of age or child and whether you were born in Victoria or overseas. If you were born interstate, apply to the Registry in that state or territory.

For changing your name after marriage, separation or divorce – if you married in Australia, you don’t need to apply for a change of name just provide the relevant organisations a copy of your Australian marriage certificate.

The commemorative certificate you receive on your wedding day is not the ‘official’ legal marriage certificate. Most organisations will only accept the BDM-issued legal certificate as evidence. If you don’t have one, please apply for a legal marriage certificate.

Read more: