Yuvraj recovering from serious lung ailment

New Delhi: Yuvraj Singh’s mysterious lung problem, that has kept the Player of the World Cup out of international cricket the last couple of months, is more serious than thought to be.

Yuvraj’s mother Shabnam Singh Saturday revealed that he has a serious lung problem and the flamboyant left-hander has shown immense courage in fighting it out.

Yuvraj has been in and out of the Indian team after the World Cup. The only hint about his ailment came from the cricket board.

Shabnam said, “His problem is more serious than the family initially thought.”

“The initial reports suggested that Yuvraj had what in medical terms is called an abnormal tumor called lymphoma over his left lung. The danger was, we were told, that it could be malignant,” she said.

“After detailed scanning and biopsy, reports have indicated that the tumour is non-malignant and non-threatening and can be treated through proper medication and therapy.”

She said Yuvraj is now in a much better state and on his way to full recovery.

“He has sought some more time from the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) and asked not to be considered for selection in the ODI against the West Indies.”

“Now his entire focus is to regain full fitness. He is already preparing himself to play in the One-day series in Australia.”

The problem surfaced during the World Cup when Yuvraj found himself constantly troubled by bouts of coughing and vomiting.

Yuvraj had ignored the problem, assuming it was due to stress and did not want anything to “distract him during the course of such an important tournament.”

“When the problem persisted after the World Cup, we decided to seek medical advice,” Shabnam said.

“Reports and scans showed us that Yuvraj was dealing with something really serious. A golf-ball size lump found over his left lung and doctors advised us to go in more detailed scans.”

Shabnam said the last few months have been extremely tough for Yuvraj and the family.

“Yuvraj has found himself dealing with the toughest time of his life in these last six-seven months. Everyone in the family was very disturbed.”

She said that Yuvraj got better with medication and therapy and was eager to resume his India duties.